Castle of Evoramonte
Its location in a timely rise in broad plain, led early on the establishment of a strategic and fortified point that, according to tradition, have been of Arab foundation. Conquered by D. Afonso Henriques in 1166, it received a charter from King Afonso III in 1248 and it was in 1306 that D. Dinis fortified the town with the construction of the castle and the walls of circuit that followed the knoll configuration Evoramonte. This defensive system, typically gothic, keeps up much of the sections and the five-door.
In 1531 the village is rocked by a violent earthquake that destroyed the old tribute tower and caused the monarch at that time, John III, order its reconstruction and restoration of the survey and deemed necessary defensive structures. This task was done under the in charge of Jaime I, Duke of Braganza. During this time, modern fortification was done which put into consideration the use of modern firearms. The resultant was a new castle with round bastions at the angles of the medieval walls and the construction of a new tower: the mighty Palace of Evoramonte.
The Tower / Palace of Evoramonte Castle is an imposing building covered with cement masonry, central plan with four bastions or ultra semi-circular towers at the corners, each with a three reel structure that low tapering up from telescopic form which is due, in its most archaic feature, the Manueline training of their posters, Diogo and Francisco de Arruda and his latest feature to Italian innovations especially for the second of these master builders.
Location District of Évora, city of Estremoz, the parish of Santa Maria de Evoramonte.
Castle of Viana do Alentejo
According to history of this tower, Viana do Alentejo Castle was the work of the early fourteenth century, in the reign of King Dinis. Indeed there is news from a letter of D. Afonso V, requesting D. Dinis in 1313 that he would contribute to building.
However, the Castle we have today in Viana do Alentejo will not match this regal intent. The present building, orthogonal moth is equipped with five cylindrical towers, two public ports, and the walls built in ceramic opus masonry.
The intramural space, in the south wing of the castle, dating from the first quarter of the sixteenth century, rose from the new parish church, manufactory building, with clear Mudejar influences. Classified as a national monument by the decree of 06.16.1910 (such as the Castle), it ranks as one of the most precious examples of the Manueline style of the south. It is a work attributed to Diogo de Arruda, who in 1521 was appointed master of the works of the Alentejo District since 1519 and was in Évora directing the works of the New Castle. This church has parallels with the Magdalene of Olivenza and the old Cathedral of Elvas, revealing, like them, great care and quality of execution.
The Church of Mercy, located in the northern wing of the castle, is currently disused and as the Mother Church, is Manueline work, attributable to Diogo ball Arruda, in the first quarter of the sixteenth century. The Portal, opposite the former Town Hall, is carved in limestone of the region and consists of Blind arcade, decorated with eggs, ropes and knots, topped by stylized artichokes, to the taste of Arrudas. The church is of rectangular shape and ribbed dome cover.
It also highlights the tile lining the walls in carpet pattern, polychrome, datable to the 2nd half of the seventeenth century. The coating of the tile remains in the chapel, which highlights the beautiful vault, manned by cylindrical towers, a representative of the exoticism of Portuguese art of the late Gothic.
In the courtyard of the castle, there is still the Manueline cruise. The space of time between the parish church and the premises of the old Town Hall was used as a cemetery until 1871.
The Viana do Alentejo Castle comprises an important architectural complex, despite its relevance, whether historical or artistic, has, in a sense, been forgotten by the public and very loosely treated by art historiography. This will eventually have to do with its implementation in a region currently very sparse in terms of population and weak power of affirmation, outside the traditional tourist circuits.
National Monument (Decree of 06.16.1910)
Location District of Évora, the Alentejo district of Viana, Viana do Alentejo parish