Museum of Ceramics and Pottery
The Ceramics Museum was officially established in 1983 and is housed in the Quinta Visconde de Sacavém, acquired for the purpose of establishing the museum by the State in 1981 and located in the historic area of Caldas, near the old factory Bordallo Pinheiro. The farm was built in the 1890s, the 2nd Viscount of Sacavém, being made up of a small palace in romantic style revivalist, a secondary building and garden area.
The gardens, romantic design, are an interesting taste evocative set of the late nineteenth century, with its alleys, flower beds and lakes, and to highlight the ceramic decorations adorning the whole.
The route of pottery sixteenth century to the present dayL
The Museum’s collections are made up of a representative synthesis of several Portuguese and foreign ceramic centers, since the sixteenth century to the present day. Predominates Caldas production that ranges from the Chinese forms, the artistic production of the nineteenth century with authors like Manuel Mafra, founder of this center, the naturalistic style of Bernard Palissy, to contemporary production of some caldenses potters as Ferreira da Silva and Eduardo Constantino.
Also noteworthy is the important and versatile core of ceramics by Rafael Bordallo Pinheiro, runs in Earthenware Factory Caldas da Rainha and production “Art Nouveau” of Costa Motta Sobrinho.
The collections are still in core tiles, as well as miniature, highlighting the works of Francisco Elias.
The mansion and romantic design of gardens, decorated with tiles and ceramic elements, also worth a detailed visit.
Museum of Terra de Miranda
The Museum of Terra de Miranda was founded in 1982 by Father António Mourinho. It is located in the center of Miranda do Douro, at Praça D. João III, in the former Domus Municipal’s monumental building of the sixteenth and seventeenth century that served as Hall and Municipal Jail until the 70 century. It offers a varied museum collection with collections of archeology, ethnology and Orientalist collection (Legacy of Francisco Maria Esteves Pereira)
The Museum exposes ethnographic collections of the region, with special emphasis on the fields of the Intangible Heritage, highlighting identifying features of mirandesa Culture and cross-border relationship.
Alberto Sampaio Museum
The Alberto Sampaio Museum is located in the heart of the historical center of Guimarães, World Cultural Heritage since December 2001. It houses collections of great interest that highlight the jewelery, sculpture, carving, painting, textiles and pottery. The Museum has twelve pieces classified as National Treasures, highlighting, among these, the military garment, “loudel” which John I wore during the battle of Aljubarrota in 1385, and the silver gilt triptych that he offered to Nossa Senhora da Oliveira.
The museum is spread over three spaces that belonged to the Collegiate: the Chapter House, the Cloister and the House of the Priory. The cloister is a unique case in Portuguese architecture, either by deploying around the Church of the headboard, either by its irregular shape.
Note that it is the only museum in Portugal that opens its doors at night during the months of July and August, between 10.00 and 24.00. During this period, the visitor, in addition to the permanent exhibition can also include a contemporary art exhibition.
José Saramago, Nobel Prize for Literature, in his book Journey to Portugal, states that the Museum of Alberto Sampaio “is one of the most beautiful museums that you know. Others will have richer, more famous species, superior line of ornaments: The Alberto Sampaio Museum has a perfect balance between guarding and spatial and architectural involvement. This museum deserves all visits and visitors who want to be taken back to all the times in Guimarães.”
Francisco Tavares Proenca Junior Museum
District: Castelo Branco
The Museum was founded in 1910 by Francisco Tavares Proenca Junior (1883-1916) who featured multiple personality with interests in science and the arts and distinguished himself especially as an archaeologist. The museum was initially installed in the Convent of Castelo Branco hoods and after a troubled existence and was transferred in 1971 to the old building of the Episcopal Palace adapted for this purpose by DGEMN. In the nineties it benefited of large works of rehabilitation and museographic adaptation.
The original Museum core is based on the archaeological collection of Francisco Tavares Proenca Junior, later enriched by ancient pieces of art from the filling of the Bishop’s Palace and successive mergers of archaeological spoils, vestments and embroidered quilts, the latter from the Vilhena collection . During the eighties of the twentieth century, it has incorporated several works of contemporary art.
“Archaeology collections: Francisco Tavares Proenca Junior”: archeology collection of the founder of the museum
Memories of the Bishopric: religious iconography; portrait.
Traditional textile technologies: Linen and Silk.
Embroidery Fabrics: vestments; costume; bedspreads.